(WASHINGTON, D.C., 1/31/20) –The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, today urged Muslims in Iowa to turn out and vote in their state’s Democratic and Republican caucuses taking place on Monday, Feb. 3 and beginning at 7 p.m. local time.
As part of CAIR’s 2020 General Election “Muslims Vote Campaign,” CAIR is encouraging Muslim voters in Iowa to actively participate in statewide caucus events throughout the weekend and make their voices heard on Monday.
“Muslims in Iowa have the chance to play an important role in determining nominees for the states two major political parties – including the Democratic Party’s presidential nominee,” said CAIR Government Affairs Director Robert McCaw.
McCaw noted CAIR is urging community members to read its “Sample Questions for Candidates and Government Officials” toolkit and bring theguidance with them to caucus events to question candidates and their representatives about some of the American Muslim community’s most pressing civil rights and social justice issues.
Actions to Take Before Monday, February 3:
- Attend events with the candidates and utilize CAIR’s sample questions for candidates to engage on issues important to the American Muslim community.
- Utilize the Candidate Tracker to find events, locations, and times.
- Register to volunteer for your local caucus.
- Share with family and friends information on the candidates and where they stand on issues: Vote Smart.
- Take a few minutes to educate others about caucus night procedure and participation. Check out iavotes.com/2020-caucus for more information.
- Offer to help friends, co-workers and family members get to the caucus.
- Community leaders should use their communications networks to encourage congregations to vote.
Actions to Take on Monday, February 3:
- Look up your caucus sites by visiting the:
- Utilize CAIR’s sample questions for candidates to engage on issues concerning American Muslim needs.
- Volunteer with your local caucus.
- Invite your family, friends, and neighbors to come along.
- Vote for the candidate you like the most.
If during the caucuses you believe your voting rights have been violated, please contact the Council on American-Islamic Relations at (202) 488-8787 or [email protected].
CAIR is America’s largest Muslim civil liberties and advocacy organization. Its mission is to enhance understanding of Islam, protect civil rights, promote justice, and empower American Muslims.
La misión de CAIR es proteger las libertades civiles, mejorar la comprensión del Islam, promover la justicia, y empoderar a los musulmanes en los Estados Unidos.